Looking After The Environment
Our environment is one of the most important things in our lives. The definition of an environment is, “the surroundings or conditions in which a person, animal, or plant lives or operates”. Our environment is responsible for plants, animals, food chains, the water and much more, which is why it is very important that we look after it. If we don’t look after it today, who will look after it tomorrow?
There are a number of ways in which our environment can be damaged. One factor that affects our environment is known as ‘pollution’ and is when the air is filled with too many harmful gases such as carbon dioxide and methane. Our environment can also be damaged when small holes in the ozone layer around the earth let harmful amounts of sunlight reach the earth. Even though this information is known by lots of people, the environment is soil being damaged because not a lot of people realise how important it is to humans.
Here are a few examples of how the environment is useful to us:
- We get food from animals, plants, birds and fish which are all part of our environment.
- We breathe in oxygen from our atmosphere.
- We get water from the rain which fills lakes and rivers and we store it in dams, reservoirs, and water tanks. We extract materials from the earth which we use to make products such as clothes and houses.
There are a number of ways that you can help the environment:
1. Use less electricity: Switch lights off when you leave a room, don’t leave your TV on standby, don’t switch on lights during the day, and switch off electrical appliances (TVs, computers etc.) when they’re not in use.
2. Recycle: There are plenty of ways you can “go green” and recycle, for example, you could start a compost heap, throw paper and cardboard into the paper recycling bin, or re-use plastic bags.
3. Save water: Use a watering can instead of a hose when watering plants or vegetables, make sure you switch off taps properly, or consider taking showers instead of baths.
As young people looking towards the future, we can all take responsibility for our planet and environment, making sure that we take care of it today so that future generations will be able to enjoy the benefits in years to come.